Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) or differentially abled persons constitute a special section of the society that requires an affirmative and dedicated involvement of the electoral machinery for their inclusive participation. The Election Commission of India launched the 'Strategic Framework on Accessible Elections' with a vision to reach out to the differentially abled persons for registration as voters and to provide suitable facilities at the polling stations to enable them to exercise their franchise.
1. The State of Sikkim convened its State Consultation meeting for inclusion of rd PWDs in the electoral process on 23 May, 2018.
2. Since Voter education and Outreach for PwDs is an integral part of the SVEEP Plan, the Office of the C.E.O, Sikkim celebrated the 72th Independence with this special vision keeping in tune to the Commission's theme “Accessible Election”.
3. A programme was conducted for reaching out to the PWDs at Blind School, Namchi, the only Blind school in the State which was organized by the th Election Office, South District on 30 July, 2018.
4. A screening camp for Persons with Disabilities (PwD) along with the Systematic Voter Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) awareness th drive was held in District Hospital, Mangan, North District on 19 January, 2019.
5. In North district, a survey of PwDs was conducted by BLOs during April 2018 wherein 137 nos. of PwDs were identified. Out of 137 PwDs identified, 111 have been mapped on ERONET. Special camps were also organized by the District Election Office, North for enrolment of PwDs on 9.9.2018, 23.9.2018 and 7.10.2018.
6. A sensitization programme on Voter Awareness for ethnic communities and NGOs working for persons with disabilities (PWDs) was organized by Chief Electoral Officer, Sikkim at the conference hall of Election Commission Office, Balwakhani on 19 January, 2019.